Make your own free website on

CCW USA Firearms Training

Frequently Asked Questions

Class Schedule
Register Now
State Fees
California CCW
CCW News
Five Rules
Tactical Training


How old must I be to apply?

You must be 21 years old at the time of application.

How long until I receive my Permit?

30 to 60 Days.

How long is the class?

About (4) hours of instruction for basic Concealed Carry courses.

Do I have to shoot a firearm for this class?

Range time and firing a weapon is highly recommended, but NOT required for this permit. You still must demonstrate safe handling and familiarity with the type of weapon you will carry. 

What is the fee for Range Qualifications?

Depending on the location of the course, there may be an additional cost for Range Time, Targets and Ammunition.

What if I am not a Utah Resident or don't have a Utah Driver's License?

A Utah Permit is available to residents from ANY state.

Will a Utah Permit allow me to carry in California?

No!  California does not recognize Permits from any other State.  You must apply for a California CCW Permit in order to carry in this State. 

With a Utah CCW Permit what states may I carry in?

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.  (Always check with the issuing authority of the State you plan to visit.)

What is the difference between Recognition and Reciprocity?

Recognition is the simple fact that one State, through it's own State law, recognizes another State's CCW Permit, without the need for a formal written agreement. 

Reciprocity is a formal written agreement between two States, to honor eachothers Permit.  Either Recognition or Reciprocity the end result is the same.  Check with the State you plan to visit to see what Permits they will honor.

Can my Neighbors, Friends, or Employer find out I have a Utah CCW?

No, Utah's CCW information is CONFIDENTIAL, and NOT a public record.

Must I have a firearm to take this class?

No firearms are needed. We will provide all firearms needed for the course of instruction.

Must I register my firearm when I receive my permit?

No, Firearms are not registered in Utah.

What is the cost of the permit?

Utah requires $35, the FBI requires $30.25 to process applications. Utah collects both at the time of application ($65.25).  Renewals are $10 every five years.

What do I send to Utah BCI with my application?    

The $65.25 State Fee, 1 Color 2"X2" Passport Quality Photograph, 1 Fingerprint Card,  A legible photocopy of your valid Driver's License.  
What forms of payment will Utah accept?

Cash, Check, or Credit Card.  (Do not mail Cash)

Should I also apply for a Florida Permit?

This is a personal decision based on your specific needs.  Which of the recognized States do you expect to travel through?

With a Florida CCW Permit what states may I carry in?

A Florida CCW Permit will allow you to carry in many of the the same States as the Utah Permit.  In addition to Florida; Pennsylvania is also recognized with this Permit.  Additional Sates are likely to add Reciprocity with Florida, because they actively seek agreements with other States.

*Alaska and Vermont do not require permits to carry within their states.  Several States have pending legislation that may add Recognition of Utah Permits. (Pending the passage of that legislation.)  Utah and Florida CCW Permits are issued for "Personal Protection".  Reciprocity and Recognition of Permits from State to State is a complex issue, we cannot and will not give legal advice.  If you need accurate answers to specific legal questions, contact the State Issuing Authority or consult an Attorney who is licensed in the State in question.  This is not an NRA-approved course.

Certified Firearms Instructor under the Utah Department of Public Safety, California Department of Justice, California Department of Consumer Affairs - Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, and the National Rifle Association.